Look For Ways To Maximize Liability Insurance While Saving In Other Areas
Liability insurance is a vital part of your auto insurance coverage. Its not a good place to skimp.
A better strategy for saving money to look elsewhere for ways to save on your policy. For instance, ask the insurance company how much you would save by increasing your deductible on collision and comprehensive insurance.
The insurance deductible is the amount that is deducted from your insurance claims check if you make a collision or comprehensive claim. The higher your deductible, the less youll pay in premiums. But make sure you can cover a higher deductible amount if you need to make a claim.
You could also ask your insurance agent about car insurance discounts. You may qualify for discounts that youre currently not getting.
Another good discount is a multi-policy discount. Thats when you bundle your auto and home insurance policies. Its typically one of the best discounts you can get.
If your car isnt worth much, you might want to skip buying collision and comprehensive car insurance. These are two separate coverage types that are often sold together. Collision covers your vehicle damage if its damaged in a crash with another car or object . Comprehensive covers your vehicle for problems like fire, flood, hail, vandalism, falling objects, collisions with animals and car theft.
Youll most likely be required to have both collision and comprehensive insurance if you have a car loan or lease.
How To Lower Business Insurance Costs
Business insurance is an important way to protect a company from costly damages. It can be a significant expense, especially for small businesses.
One of the best ways you can save is by purchasing a business owners policy . A BOP bundles three essential coverage types: general liability insurance, commercial property insurance and business interruption insurance. Its usually cheaper to buy a BOP rather than three separate policies.
Here are some more tips to lower business insurance costs:
- Shop around and compare quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Bundle multiple policies together from the same insurer, such as property and liability insurance.
- Pay your premiums annually instead of monthly.
- Raise your deductibleif you can afford the out-of-pocket costs youd pay to file a claim.
- Avoid risks that could lead to a claim.
Commercial General Liability Insurance Occurrence Basis
Our commercial general liability insurance policies in Alberta operate on an occurrence basis. What is that? It means that incidents that happen during the policy term are covered, no matter when the claim is presented.
For example, say youve been insured with Bullfrog from 2014 until today. Someone sues you for an alleged incident of a negligent act causing them bodily injury in 2015. Because you had an insurance policy with us, youd be covered.
Also Check: Instant Term Life Insurance Quotes
What Factors Affect Commercial Property Insurance Costs
Several factors can influence commercial property insurance costs:
- Location. Operating in a high-risk area prone to natural disasters can increase premiums.
- Building age and size. Insuring older or larger buildings will cost more than insuring smaller or newer buildings.
- Types of fire protection. Having a sprinkler system, fire alarms and easy access to a fire department may reduce the price of your premiums.
- Equipment costs. Commercial property insurance reimburses you for items lost or damaged on your property, so expect to pay more if you house expensive equipment.
- Types of perils covered. Similar to home insurance, youll pay more if you need to cover additional perils for your business, such as floods, earthquakes or employee theft.
What Factors Affect Workers Compensation Insurance Costs
Three main factors impact costs for workers comp:
- Payroll size. The larger your company and the bigger your payroll size, the more you can expect to pay for workers compensation insurance.
- Employee job duties. Expect to pay more for employees who have riskier job duties. For instance, workers comp costs for office jobs will be lower than hands-on jobs like construction or mechanic work.
- Location. If you live in a monopolistic state, such as North Dakota, Ohio, Wyoming or Washington, youre required by law to buy state-funded workers comp. You have no other options. But in other states, you can shop around for workers comp quotes on the private market.
For all six types of policies above, expect to pay around $340.75 a month total, or $4,090 a year, on average.
Don’t Miss: How Much Do Employers Pay For Health Insurance
Typical General Liability Insurance Costs For Insureon Customers
While a typical Insureon small business customer pays $500 annually for general liability insurance, 17% pay less than $300 and 48% pay between $300 and $600 per year. These figures were derived from an analysis of thousands of insurance policies purchased by Insureon small business customers.
Read on to find out how your industry may impact general liability insurance costs.
How Can I Lower My Small Business Insurance Cost
Here are some pointers to help keep your small business insurance premiums down as your company grows:
Avoid claiming for small damage
Try to repair the little things yourself, because each time you claim, your insurance premium will increase.
Frequent claims unfortunately result in paying more for your insurance over time.
In many cases, the increase in your premium will be more than the actual claims themselves!
This is why its best to claim for significant damages ideally, we suggest against claiming anything under $2,500.
All small business insurance companies offer discounts to those who are claim-free.
Raise your deductible
Insurers will offer discounts each time you raise your deductible.
For example, raising your deductible from $1,000 to $2,500 would give you a 5% annual discount .
Install alarm & sprinkler systems
Small business insurance companies offer credits to organizations who use central monitored alarm & sprinkler systems since they can help mitigate damage.
While it may not be feasible for you to install a sprinkler system if you dont own your building, pay attention to this when choosing a new office locale.
Install antivirus software & create a disaster plan
Be proactive and develop a disaster plan that prepares your company for cyber-attacks or data breaches.
Creating a detailed list of what to do in the event of a cyber breach can literally save your business.
Recommended Reading: How To Cancel Insurance Policy
What Does Liability Insurance Cover
The risks you are exposed to as a business owner will vary based on the size of your operation, industry, or profession. In general, business liability insurance provides coverage for anothers bodily injury, property damage, or financial loss due to your business operations. Regardless of fault, your liability insurance may cover the costs of legal defence, out-of-court settlements, and third-party medical expenses.
How Much General Liability Insurance Coverage Do I Need
Most small businesses choose standard coverage amounts of $1 million per occurrence and a $2 million aggregate policy limit for their general liability insurance coverage, according to Insureon. This type of policy will pay up to $1 million to cover a single general liability insurance claim, with a $2 million limit for all claims during the policy period. The policy period is typically one year.
Tailored policies for thousands of professions
A.M. Best financial strength rating
You May Like: Quote State Farm Car Insurance
What Isnt Covered By Commercial General Liability Insurance In Alberta
A commercial general liability insurance policy in Alberta does not offer coverage for the following:
- A lawsuit against you for any other reason other than physical damage or bodily injury to a third party caused by negligence
- Property damage to your companys possessions
- Damage or injury caused while operating a motor vehicle
- Bodily injury to your employees
- Intentional or criminal acts causing property damage or bodily injury
Your policy documents will explicitly outline what is not covered by commercial general liability insurance in Alberta.
Implementing Safety Standards In The Workplace
Always keep safety in mind. Strong safety practices can help minimize your risk while on the job and keep your employees and customers safe. For example, a painting contractor could maintain a clutter-free workspace to reduce the risk of someone tripping over supplies left on the floor. Reducing your exposure to possible claims could help keep your premiums low.
Don’t Miss: Aarp Car Insurance For Seniors
What Types Of Businesses Need Product Liability Insurance
Any corporation, SMB, home-based business, or entrepreneur thats sells items should have this protection. Whether you sell food, clothing, furniture, tools, sports equipment, shoes, and anything else, this is for you.
Any large or small business that sells directly to customers and the general public requires protection. This includes :
- Vendors, wholesalers, distributors
- Factors related to shipping, packaging, storage, safety measures in place and more
What Is Liability Coverage
Liability coverage pays for property damage and/or injuries to another person caused by an accident in which you’re at fault. This coverage is required by most states to legally drive your vehicle.
Liability coverage is broken down into 2 parts: property damage and bodily injury.
- Property damage coverage pays for damage to another person’s property
- Bodily injury coverage provides payment for others injured in an accident
We can help you get the coverage you need.
Also Check: Best Long Term Care Insurance
Liability Insurance British Columbia
As a business owner, you know the importance of an all-encompassing business plan, including potential risks your business may face. Those risks can be unexpected and arise from accidental losses. Business liability insurance transfers those risks and provides peace of mind that your business is covered, so youre able to focus on whats essential to achieve the goals youve set for your business.
As your local insurance experts for over 40 years, we know that each business in BC is unique in its own way. From one of the many service industry businesses in the heart of Vancouver to the retail businesses in Surrey and hair salons in Abbotsford, weve got you covered. With all it has to offer, its not hard to understand why so many people decide to set up shop in BC. And with 100 locations across the province, theres sure to be a Westland location near you.
We understand its vital to protect whats most important to you and your business. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure youre protected so you can focus on nurturing your business for the future.
How Much Does Commercial General Liability Insurance Cost In Alberta
Commercial general liability insurance starts at $500 or $1000 per year in Alberta, depending on the insurance company. Keep in mind that this is just the base price you may be paying more, depending on your industry and individual business.
Here are a few examples:
- An electrician with $2 million commercial general liability insurance coverage in Alberta would likely have a premium between $500 to $1000.
- A remediation specialist with $2 million commercial general liability insurance protection in Alberta would likely pay at least $2500.
- A grocery store with $250,000 in revenue each year in Alberta could pay $1000 for $2 million in commercial general liability insurance coverage.
- A retailer selling ride-on cars for kids could pay $10,000 for $2 million in commercial general liability insurance coverage in Alberta.
It all depends on your business risks! Thats why getting multiple commercial general liability insurance quotes in Alberta is important you want your coverage for the best price. Bullfrog provides up to 4 quotes from different insurers, so you know youre getting competitive prices for your insurance.
Read Also: Call The General Insurance Company
Professional Liability Insurance Cost For Consultants
Different consultants will pay different amounts for their professional liability insurance policies. An IT consultant can pay $60 a month while an investment advisor can pay up to $250 a month. Consultants in different industries are exposed to different types and levels of risks, therefore the premiums of their professional liability insurance policy, also called E& O policy, will vary. Learn more in this article.
How Much Liability Insurance Coverage Do I Need
You should purchase as much coverage as you can afford. When determining how much liability insurance coverage to buy, consider the size of your business, your industry, and how frequently you interact with third-parties, including customers, vendors, and other companies.
These factors can help you identify your level of risk exposure, and depending on your profession you may require additional coverage. For example, a contractor is more likely to be at risk for causing third-party property damage than a web designer who works from home.
Speak with your broker about customizing your policy to meet your specific business needs.
Read Also: Type Of Car Insurance Coverage
Professional Liability Insurance Cost For Nurses
Also called nursing malpractice insurance, both registered nurses and nurse practitioners need to have professional liability coverage. They expect to pay $500 to $2,000 a year a professional liability insurance policy. Nurses with different years of experience and in different practices should pay different amount. Learn more in this article.
How Much Auto Liability Insurance Do You Need
Most experts agree that the legally-mandated minimum coverage is not enough for many drivers. The amount of car insurance coverage you should purchase depends on your assets and your tolerance for risk.
Use our auto insurance coverage calculator to find out what coverage limits best fit your needs.
If you cause an accident that seriously injures the other party, medical bills, income loss, and pain and suffering claims could come to hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you have assets above the limits of your policy, the victim’s attorney or insurance company is likely to pursue them through subrogation. In addition, many insurance policies allow insurers to limit their legal defense expense to your coverage limit.
Don’t Miss: Mortgage Protection Insurance In Case Of Death
How Much Personal Liability Coverage Do You Need
Homeowners insurance policies usually offer liability limits between $100,000 and $500,000. In case thats not enough, companies that target wealthier consumers, like Chubb, sell amounts well into the millions.
The amount of personal liability insurance you choose depends on the value of your assets, your chance of being sued and your tolerance for risk.
Consider buying at least enough personal liability insurance to cover your all your assets, including your home, savings and investments. You might want to choose a higher amount if any of these lawsuit risk factors apply to you:
You have hobbies that could potentially injure others, such as skiing, hunting or surfing.
You have a swimming pool, trampoline or other attractive nuisance on your property.
Youre a public figure or a wealthy member of the community.
You often host parties in your home.
Cant get enough liability coverage with your homeowners policy? Consider buying umbrella insurance. This type of policy gives you extra liability coverage on top of your existing homeowners and auto policies. Limits typically start at $1 million.
What Is Liability Insurance
Liability insurance protects your business against lawsuits associated with third-party property damage or bodily injury. Depending on your needs, a business liability insurance policy can include the following coverages:
- Commercial general liability insurance protects you from the most common risks you may encounter in your day-to-day business operations, such as third-party property damage and bodily injury.
- Professional liability insurance is a type of liability insurance that provides coverage for claims alleging negligence or failure to deliver a service as promised, resulting in financial loss.
- Errors and omissions insurance is a type of professional liability insurance that protects you from claims alleging a financial loss due to an error or omission on your part.
- Directors and officersinsurance protects your board members and their assets should a lawsuit or claim be filed against them or the company.
- Cyber liability insurance covers the costs associated with recovering from a cybercrime involving your technology systems and customer data.
What Is Personal Liability Coverage
Personal liability coverage is included in a homeowners insurance policy, and also with renters and condo insurance policies. This coverage protects you from paying out of pocket if you are held legally responsible for injury or property damage to a third party.
For example, letâs say someone slips and falls down a flight of stairs in your home and then sues you. Personal liability coverage will pay for lawsuit judgments, settlements and legal bills, up to your liability coverage amount.
Examples of common claims include:
- Medical bills for someone injured at your home
- Lost wages of someone injured at your home which is now unable to work due to the incident
- Legal costs when someone sues you
- Problems that happen away from home but that youâre responsible forâsuch as an accidental injury that your
- child causes to another child on the playground
- A death benefit to a family who lost a loved one in your home after a fatal accident
Risk Management For Contractors
While Contractor Professional Liability Insurance is there if you need it, it is best to avoid litigation altogether.
EasyCovers contractor liability insurance protects you if your risk management isnt enough. Our coverage is comprehensive and affordable. We make it easy for you to protect yourself. Get a free contractor liability insurance quote from our online quoter in less than 5 minutes!
Making sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to expectations and progress is important. Open and honest communication can go a long way. Ask questions and clarify if youre not sure about something.
Keep written record of all communication. Follow up an in-person meeting with an email confirming what was discussed. You should also keep backup copies of all paperwork, receipts, and communications. A digital cloud copy is also a necessity. In the event you are sued, this could be important evidence.
Implement procedures to ensure quality. For some things, this may be having multiple eyes go over something before its delivered. For others, it might be following a specific check list for each install. Double-check the deliverable against the expectation.